I’m pretty new to Instagram. Not that I hadn’t heard of it, but since it just became available for Android phones this month, I haven’t had a lot of opportunity to play with it yet. But I think that’s about to change. By now, you’ve probably heard that Facebook acquired Instagram this week. And how [...]
I’m pretty new to Instagram. Not that I hadn’t heard of it, but since it just became available for Android phones this month, I haven’t had a lot of opportunity to play with it yet. But I think that’s about to change.
By now, you’ve probably heard that Facebook acquired Instagram this week. And how much did they pay for the little photo sharing startup with no revenue generation?
One billion dollars.
Why? Well, there is a lot of speculation. And there are a lot of opinions about whether it was worth it. Personally, I am firmly in the camp that it was a fantastic decision; as this article points out, Facebook’s future is all about photos and user engagement.
The same can be said of the future of brands. Brands that create content and engage with people will continue to rule. Whether or not you agree, one thing is for sure, this acquisition means that brands will have to adjust. Timelines will need to be stronger and mobile ads may need a new strategy.
What do you think? Do you think it was a smart purchase? How will this affect brands?
Now that you’ve caught up on the biggest news of the week, here are some more stories you don’t want to miss.
- We were busy bloggers this week! Did you see the TWO articles we wrote? Maria wrote about 4 questions to ask before building a mobile app.
- And Regina starts to explain our 4D process by comparing it to building a house.
- Creative Director John Magas shared this ad for Smart Argentina. What a creative use of Twitter!
- Hm, I hope Debbi isn’t trying to send me a message…. She shared some great tips on what to do if you make a mistake.
- Georgia shared an article about virtual grocery stores opening in Korea. Simply scan a QR code of the items you want and they’ll be delivered to your door. Can we get one of these in Wayne, PA?
- Georgia also shared this article about Google’s Project Glass starting testing. Would you wear these glasses in public?
- While the Google glasses only look like they can read your mind, the iBrain might actually be able to. Anthea shared this article about the innovative new device.